Sunday, May 15, 2011

Photographing Blooms Tips and Tricks



Hi everyone! Have you recovered from National Scrapbooking Day? I am making a point of finally getting to scrap with the new products I picked up in the last couple weeks. One that I am so anxious to use is Kristin's In Bloom! I love taking pictures of flowers and this is the perfect kit to show them off I think. I also thought that I'd drop off some tips on how to take the best shots of your flowers.



The best thing that you can do first and foremost is prepare and plan your shot. Don't just whip out your camera, center your flower in the shot and press that shutter button. Do something creative. Try a different angle. One thing that I've done in the past is shoot the flowers from the ground up. It gives your photo a different angle and usually gives you an uncluttered background to highlight that beautiful bloom. This works especially well with tulips. And if you can't get that low, try to get as low as you can and find an interesting backdrop rather than clutter. Something that offsets the beauty of the blooms.


Think too about the lighting. Personally I have found that shooting flowers during cloudy days really gets the true colour of the flower in the photo, and you can often avoid harsh shadows that mask some of the textures of the flower petals.

If you haven't done it before, try using your macro setting on your camera to get in really tight and shoot details of the pollen inside the flower, or maybe a small insect that is enjoying some nectar.

Consider too your depth of field when you are shooting. That can really make a bloom pop in a photo.

I hope you've enjoyed these little tips, and my couple of example shots from my visits to the Tulip Festival here in Ottawa. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment